Home » , , , , , » Old White Truck Restoration Project

Old White Truck Restoration Project


Restoration Project Cars, 1956 White 9000TD Flatbed Dump Truck With Crane Project For Sale


1956 White 9000TD truck. It has a 13'6" flatbed with a single ram hoist (dump) and a Hiab SpeedLoader 6600lb. capacity three-section crane. The crane will extend to 13' from the center mast. At full extension it will pick up 2750lbs. It has a Cummins C-160 (160hp) 6-cylinder naturally aspirated diesel engine and a RoadRanger R-45 8-speed transmission w/ driver's side PTO hydraulics. The truck does run with good oil pressure, and has a clear NC title. In it's present condition, it cannot be driven under its own power and must be hauled on a trailer. It needs tires, a brake treadle valve, and a clutch slave cylinder to be drivable.





Detail by owner
The truck was purchased in 1959 as a single-axle 5th-wheel road tractor. They stretched the frame 6 feet in the late 60s/early 70s and added the flatbed and crane. They parked it in 1993 after it failed a DOT inspection. I don't have any history on the truck from 1956 to 1959. I bought the truck in 2008 and didn't start working on it until 2011. My dad, brother, and I worked on it for a solid day and got it to run, and all of the hydraulics working. A few months later we were running it again and one of the hydraulic hoses on the crane's curl ram cracked. The truck has ran several times since then, and I have operated the dump hoist, but not the crane. Before we started it, we changed the oil but did not change the oil filter. I thought the truck had a bag-unit filter, but it had been converted to a cartridge filter. I have a new cartridge filter in my shop that will go with the truck. It was originally set up with 4 6-volt batteries, I converted it to two 12-volt batteries that were purchased in 2011. They are also in my shop on a maintainer and will go with the truck too.

I have not worked on the electrical system other than seeing what did and did not work. Everything that has good bulbs works. The heater system didn't kick on, I just added that to the list of things to fix. It needs all of the glass replaced in the cab, a driver's side exterior door handle, and both interior door handles. I bought this truck as a long-term restoration project, and it's condition is indicative of that. Craigslist limits me to 24 pictures, but I have hundreds of pictures I've taken over the years that I can email out if you want to see a specific area.

Over the time I have owned the truck, I have collected a full set of manuals for everything with the exception of the crane. I have the following: 1956 Owner's Manual printed from a PDF copy, 1955/1956 White Maintenance Manual (very rare - covers chassis overhaul, White flathead gas engine overhaul, Holley carb overhaul, RoadRanger R-45 Overhaul Manual), Cummins C & J series Shop Manual, Cummins Parts Manual, Cummins PT Fuel System Shop Manual, and a 1957 White 9000TD sales brochure. The truck also comes with an extra steering wheel, extra driver's seat, and the original black shutter grille. The chrome shutter grille was added by the landscaping company in 1959.

***UPDATE 2/26/14*** I was cleaning in my shop and I found what I believe to be the original lug wrench and handle. I also found the 3-piece DOT reflective triangle kit that was in the truck when I bought it. They the newer plastic folding type. Judging from the case and aging, they are from the 80s. Both of these were under/beside the passenger's seat. The bottom cushion lifts off to reveal a tool tray.

I am asking $2600 obo. I am open to reasonable offers (sorry, no trades) and I would love to see this truck go to a collector that will restore it and make it shine like it did in it's hey-day. I can be reached by replying back to this email listing or by call/texting show contact info AFTER 5PM (Mon-Fri) and anytime Sat & Sun.

Here is a video of the truck running: www.youtube.com/watch?v=mBK1kyvVyqk
And a second video walking around it showing some detail shots: www.youtube.com/watch?v=9y7bPmyvYPU

I know this is a long listing to read, and if you've made it this far, thank you and I look forwards to talking to you about buying my truck.

Interested to restore this Truck, please visit the link below
NO AVAILABLE



* Want to closed or report or edit Ads please here
restorationprojectcars.com is never directly involved in sales transactions.
Please view our Guides

Everyone is welcome to post ads for free without being a member, and to prospective buyers please beware, coming to see the Project directly is a must. Avoid fraud by meeting all sellers in person to pay for items.